10.3.08

Raw Madeleines aka Larabaresque Hunks



These don't taste like madeleines, but they are delicious and taste just like a larabar. I was originally going to call them "raw energy bites" but because of the way I shaped them, they reminded me of a madeleines (minus the ridges). I like eating little snacks throughout the day rather than big meals. A snack around 2-3ish is important to me because it gives me an energy boost for working out and helps curb my hunger, which is the most intense in the early afternoon. I've been trying to eat raw breakfasts, snacks and lunches (I'll post pictures of a week of the food I eat sometime soon) in an attempt to give me more energy during these last heinous weeks of cold grossness and just to be healthier. These do have a substantial amount of fat but it's essential to eat natural plant fats, especially unrefined fats like nuts, seeds and avocados. Also, if you're trying to lose weight and you completely cut out fat or eat extremely small amounts of it, you body will hold on to the fat it has more so than if you eat some fat. Obviously don't eat an entire freakin jar of peanut butter, but a couple handfuls (not fistful, strive for palm...ideally around 10-15 nuts) of nuts a day or tablespoons of nut butter (if you can find a raw nut butter, go for it, especially almond or cashew....and fyi, raw peanut butter is supposed to be gross).

This particular recipe is modeled off the cinnamon roll larabar except using walnuts because it's really hard to find truly raw almonds. It only uses three ingredients and requires no cooking, so it's fast and simple.







Raw Madeleines


1 C. Raw Walnuts

1 C. Dates
1/2 t. Cinnamon

Throw all of the ingredients into a food processor and process until sticky enough to hold together. Pack a scoop of the mixture into a tablespoon firmly enough so that it becomes a solid mass. Turn your tablespoon over and wedge a knife in between the spoon and the madeleine to free it from it's measuring prison. If you have a madeleine pan, you should definitely use it. Stick them in the refrigerator to firm up and enjoy. These are a bit crumbly, so don't become to lugubrious if they do.





This recipe is really simple and you can create endless variations. Some variation ideas:
  • Add 1/4 C. of dried cherries and just use 3/4 C. of dates (i.e. Cherry Pie Larabar) or any other dried fruit (I think it would be really good with dried bluberries)
  • Use cashews, pistachios, macadamia nuts, almonds etc. instead of walnuts
  • Add some grated or dried lemon zest
  • Add 1/4 C. of dried coconut
  • Add 1/2 t. of powdered ginger
  • If you can find raw cocoa powder, definitely add it
  • Raw cocoa powder plus dried of fresh mint
  • Raw cocoa powder plus dried coconut
  • Raw cocoa powder plus orange zest
  • Use dried blueberries and add some lemon zest
  • Dried cherries plus lime zest
  • Dried apples plus apple pie spice
  • there are so many options....

2 comments:

Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

I just made these today but I used cranberries, dates, hemp seed and pecans. I was inspired by yours though! Yum!

Dr.Rutledge said...

Hi Lunaanimus,
I'm an academic physician (formerly at Harvard and Stanford) who found your blog while looking for the best health writers. I think your writing is great! I would like to feature you in the Vegetarian Communiy on Wellsphere, a top 10 health website that has well over 2 million visitors monthly.

If you would like to learn more, just drop me an email to Dr.Rutledge@wellsphere.com